Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Gaither Kitchen: Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie

I will never claim to be a baker or an amazing cook of any sort.  So, when I make something and get rave reviews and have the husband asking for seconds, I try to make sure and take the time to post for all of you other non Betty Crocker's out there.

Last Friday, Sweet Mama (aka GiGi) and I took Miss Fiona strawberry picking for the very first time.
I knew immediately I wanted to surprise Scott with a Strawberry and Rhubarb pie.  I have heard him say so many times how he loves when his Mom makes this pie and it's always been one of his favorites.




We actually got the rhubarb from the strawberry farm.  I didn't realize that green rhubarb can tend to be less tart and more fibrous, but the sweet owner shared her tips for correcting this.  You simply pretend your rhubarb is like string cheese and peel the outside edges off prior to dicing it up for your pie.  It added maybe an extra 5 minutes at most to this recipe and was super simple to do.

Now for the recipe!

Ingredients
 2 pie crusts (I made life easy and used store bought)
2 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped into ½ inch pieces
3-4 cups strawberries, sliced
½ teaspoon orange zest
1 ¾ cups sugar
¾ cup flour
3 tablespoons butter
 ***
Start things off by preheating your oven to 425°
 

Next you will want to prepare your rhubarb and strawberries.
Slice your strawberries in half and chop rhubarb in approximately 1/2 inch pieces. 
Then gently toss the two together and spread half of the them on your bottom pie crust.


Next in a separate bowl mix together your 1 3/4 cups of sugar, 3/4 cup of flour, and  
1/2 Teaspoon of orange zest. 


Toss approximately 1/2 of this mixture over the bottom layer of strawberries and rhubarb.


 Then add another layer of strawberries and rhubarb and cover with the remaining sugar, flour, and orange zest mixture.  I didn't quite use the entire amount so just kind of eyeball it to when you feel everything is covered well.

Next slice your 3 tablespoons of butter and spread over the top of your pie filling.


 Place the top pie crust on and seal together with a fork.


You will want to add 3-6 slits along the top center of your pie so the steam can be released.
I also sprinkle sugar over the top of my pie crust.

The edges of pies tend to brown up first.  So, I typically use foil to cover the edges and then during the last 10 minutes of baking remove the foil from the edges.

You can also purchase a pie shield if this seems easier. 
  
Next, let her bake for around 40-50 minutes on 425° 

Once the juices start to bubble and crust turns brown she is ready to go!


After removing from the oven I placed on a cooling rack for a little over an hour.
 I also highly recommend serving with vanilla ice cream or whip cream! :) 

And there you have it! A SUPER easy and DELICIOUS  Strawberry and Rhubarb pie!

 Enjoy!


dc signature

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...