Thursday, December 22, 2016

The Gaither Kitchen: Cinnamon Toast

We have been under the weather here at The Gaither House for the past week.  It honestly seems like everyone has had their turn at this nasty head cold that is going around.  Yuck!
This past weekend I was on the the tail end of my cold, but Scott was just really starting to feel bad.  On Friday night he started to reminisce about when his mom would make him cinnamon toast.
So, I started asking questions because I could tell immediately this was a childhood fave.  Basically, "Mama Gaither" would take a piece of toast, cover it with butter and sprinkle with a cinnamon and sugar mixture.  Then pop the toast in the oven under the broiler, where Scott said they would then stare at the oven to make sure it wouldn't burn! So cute! 

As Scott was taking in some much needed extra sleep Saturday morning, Fiona and I were up with the birds for playtime.  Then it hit me, I can totally make cinnamon toast and hopefully make the husband feel a little better.  Now, if you know me, I always have to mix things up a bit.  So, I of course turned to Pinterest to check out a couple different variations of this much talked about Cinnamon Toast.  I decided to go with a variation from my fave Ree Drummand of The Pioneer Woman.  She's pretty amazing in my book!

Here's what you'll need!

2 Sticks of Butter
3 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 cup Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
16 Slices of Bread

Now, let make some yummy Cinnamon Toast!

First, soften your butter!  I just popped the two sticks of butter into the microwave for about 15 seconds.


Then just helped the melting process a little with a fork. 


Next, mix in your sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.






Once you have all your ingredients in your mixing bowl, give them a good stir until all are blended. 



Next, you guessed it! Lather those pieces of toast up! 
Once you have your toast covered in this sweet goodness, pop into your oven to bake on 350 for 10 minutes.  Then turn the broiler on to really toast it up for about a minute.


This recipe yields 16 pieces of Cinnamon Toast.  We did over indulge, but there was NO WAY just the two of us could devour all 16 slices.  So, we saved the leftover mixture for Sunday morning.  Just pop it back into the microwave for 15 seconds and give it a good stir.


And there you have it!  A super simple and crowd pleaser recipe to cure the childhood craving and help get over the yucky sick blues!




dc signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...