Monday, December 5, 2016

DIY: The Perfect {Inexpensive} Bookshelf

A few months back I was on the hunt for a simple gold bookshelf.  I found that so many I loved were around $250 and up!  This just seemed a little crazy to me.  So I decided this gold bookshelf I was on the hunt for was now going to turn into a DIY.



After removing the gold element from my search I started to find several reasonably priced shelves that a can of gold spray paint would do wonders with.  I ended up purchasing the Vittsjo Shelf from Ikea in white for just $49.  





Next to dress this plain Jane up to her full potential.
A trip to Lowes for a few supplies and we were ready.




Now that we have all the items, it's time to make this doll come to life.
I think it's totally up to you if you want to assemble before or after you paint.  I decided to assemble first, then spray.  Once I had the shelf together I started with the primer.  Even though the shelf was white, I still like to prime as it helps your paint adhere better.  Once the primer was dry, it was time to paint this beauty gold.  In the end I used almost 2 cans of paint.  It never ceases to amaze me what a can of paint can do for a lifeless piece.

The three middle shelves are glass, but the top and bottom are solid, some type of faux wood.
I decided to dress this piece up just a touch more by wrapping the top and bottom shelves in marble contact paper.  Seriously, this made the entire look of the bookshelf!

And...there you have it!  







I couldn't be happier with the end result.  Sometimes I find it's the DIY pieces in our home I adore the most.  They just feel a little bit more special to me.


dc signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...